War Memorials history
The ornate memorial is on the main road from Botley to Wickham in Hampshire. Surrounded by four steps, above its dedication is a statue of Christ holding a staff. Above his head is an ornate triangular arch. At the pinnacle of the memorial is a cross. This memorial was placed on this, the direct route to Southampton, to bless those soldiers marching to war. Surrounded by hedges on three sides, you could miss this as you pass by. More information can also be found on the War Memorials Online website. Reference WMO204174
War Memorial - Fords Corner Memorial to WW1, WW2 and the Northern Island Conflict
Location - Fords Corner, Upper Church Road, Shedfield SO32 2JB
The original memorial is constructed of Lower Greensand Sandstone.
The obelisk memorial is 4 metres high with an octagonal shaped shaft with a cross incised at its top.
The names of the fallen in WW1 and the dedication are on four faces at the base.
The names of the fallen in WW2 and the Northern Ireland Conflict are on a Portland Stone Bible at the base of the original memorial
18 August 1919 At a special parish council meeting the War Memorial Committee considered the proposed layout of the Ford’s Corner War Memorial as submitted in a plan by the Revd W Calldicott. This was accepted with minor amendments such as a curving low hedge to be planted, white wooden polling to be installed along the top of the bank at 2.5ft high and the slope of the bank to be planted with heather.
9 October 1921 All works were completed to the memorial in time to be unveiled and dedicated on Sunday 9th October 1921 by Vice Admiral R. F. Phillimore and the Lord Bishop of Southampton.
5 March 1923 The Women’s Institute offered to maintain the area around the memorial and continue to be involved in its care today.
25 October 1933 Restoration work was carried out by Mr G Churches to make the names on the memorial clearer.
9 February 1949 A bible style stone memorial was added in front of the base of the War Memorial to commemorate those men lost in WW2 it was produced by Mr Boynon of Banbury and cost £19 plus the costs of a local contractor to secure it in place.
1972 The names of the fallen in the Northern Ireland Conflict were added to the bible memorial at the base of the War Memorial.
By 2009 the names of the fallen had become unreadable on the main memorial and four Portland Stone plates etched with the names of the fallen were added to the memorial base.
At the same time the old bible (which was badly deteriorating) moved to the local graveyard in Church Road (SO32 2HW) and a new bible memorial was installed . The old memorial can be found in a herb garden just through the Cemetery lychgate.
The memorial is a focus for the parish and on Remembrance Sunday each year wreaths are laid and we remember those whose sacrifice gave us our freedom.
Additional details including a map to identify the location may be found at:
Richard Phillimore outside Shedfield House