Cemetery & Common
The Cemetery & Common Committee is responsible for war memorials and Shedfield Common.
The tract of about 63.32 acres called Shedfield Common in the parish of Shedfield, Hampshire was registered in 1967.
The Cemetery & Common Committee ensures that this land is managed and maintained throughout the year to ensure it is safe for local people to use while also protecting flora and fauna that are present such as orchids and glow worms.
The Cemetery & Common Committee also manages the Shedfield cemetery in Church Road, Shedfield.
The Land was originally owned by the Church Commissioners and in 1953 was conveyed to Droxford Rural District Council. This was as a gift to be reserved for the burial of Shedfield Parishioners. Droxford RDC closed and Winchester City Council then became owners.
In 1991 ownership was transferred to Shedfield Parish Council.
The main function of the Cemetery & Common Committee is to oversee maintenance of the grounds and boundaries and plan for improvements. The most recent project was to level the lower end and fence off an area of nature leading to the Common.
Each Committee has its own Terms of Reference – which are agreed annually by Council.
Cemetery and Common Committee Meetings
Members of the public are invited to attend committee and full council meetings. See here for further information about the meetings.